Sohum Mehta - Growth Analyst - Finance
Sohum Mehta's Bio:
Sohum Mehta is an experienced consumer and corporate bank analyst, as well as a trained corporate accountant.
Sohum Mehta earned his start in the finance world when he was hired by international restaurant chain Taco Bell as an Accounting Clerk. While working for Taco Bell, Sohum was responsible for a number of accounting related tasks. His primary responsibility included the management and creation of weekly financial summaries featuring a detailed analysis of cost, labour, revenue and expenses. He was also in charge of communicating and working with employees during the event of payroll discrepancies. As a Taco Bell Accounting Clerk, Sohum was additionally responsible for reporting and explaining the business’ revenues to the chief accountant and various members of senior management.
Following his work at Taco Bell, Sohum studied at Bentley University in Massachusetts. Upon earning his Bachelor’s Degree of Science in 2010, Sohum chose to continue his studies at Bentley University, and in 2012, he earned his Masters of Business Administration from the school.
While studying at Bentley, Sohum was an active member in a variety of extracurricular activities. Sohum was a regular participant in the school’s Debate Society. His dedication to the team and its members was honored when Sohum was elected Vice-President of the Debate Society.
In addition to participating on the Bentley Debate Society, Sohum competed in the Bentley Business Bowl, a school-wide business focused competition. Exhibiting the business knowledge learned at Bentley and through his previous work experience, Sohum won the Bentley Business Bowl’s top honour in 2007-2008.
Also in 2007, Sohum was listed among the DECA Accounting Ontario Top 5, a prestigious honour and distinction.
Following his studies at Bentley University, Sohum attended Harvard’s extension school. In 2012, Sohum completed his Masters of Liberal Arts, Finance studies from Harvard.
Following his studies, Sohum worked as a Consumer & Corporate Wholesale Banking Analyst for Standard Chartered Bank, a global financial institution with a large market in Africa, Asia and the Middle East.
While at Standard Chartered, Sohum was responsible for performing risk assessments and analysis on proposed corporate loans, screened cash flow statements and balance sheets. Sohum would use the information to determine solvency, as well as develop spreadsheet models designed to determine loan and capital structure feasibility. During his time at Standard Chartered, Sohum also issued mezzanine financing products for numerous companies with an annual turnover of $10 million and more.
In his leisure time, Sohum participates in a number of activities including golfing, swimming boating and tennis. He is also an avid reader, who enjoys non-fiction material about finance, business and economics.
Sohum Mehta's Experience:
Growth Analyst at Dynasty Ventures
May 2007 - Present
Create feasibility report for new retail locations
- Interact with CFO and accountants
- Performed financial due diligence, comparative company analysis, and in-depth financial research while identifying prospective locations and different municipal economic environments
Dynasty Ventures is a retail conglomerate with scope of operations including Hardware, Building Materials, Grocery, Automotive Parts Sales & Distribution. They are currently in an expansion phase with revenue growth of over 100% per annum in the past two years.
Wholesale Banking Intern, Consumer & Corporate Banking at Standard Chartered
June 2010 - September 2010
- Perform risk analysis on proposed corporate loans
- Screen Cash Flow Statements and Balance Sheets to determine solvency of companies
- Develop Excel Models to determine feasibility of loans, and capital structure
- Successfully issue 2 Mezzanine Financing products for companies with annual turnover BWP +100M.
Foreign Exchange Trading Intern, Treasury at BancABC (African Banking Corporation)
June 2009 - August 2009
- Monitor Reuters Foreign Exchange terminals for opportunities based on technical analysis
- Price ZAR (South African Rand) deals for corporate clients over the phone
- Create daily strategy for BWP/ZAR and USD/ZAR and BWP/USD, in daily client briefs
- Attend client meetings to convince new clients to bank with ABC for Forex transactions
- Create an excel model to help sales team track profit of their individual deals based on mid-rates
Accounting Clerk at Taco Bell
May 2006 - October 2006 | Toronto, Ontario
- Create weekly financial summaries (Cost, Labor, Expenses, Revenue etc.)
- Interact with employees that have payroll discrepancies
- Report numbers to chief accountant and occasionally management
Sohum Mehta's Education:
Sohum Mehta's Interests & Activities:
golf, finance, electronics, music, travel, reading